Peter J. Caramanis
Peter J. Caramanis
Pete Caramanis has been practicing law in Charlottesville for over 20 years. He represents individuals and businesses in courts and before governmental bodies throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. He prides himself on developing and maintaining trusting and long-lasting relationships with his clients, as well as those with whom he interacts on his clients’ behalf. He is also proud to have earned the respect of his fellow attorneys by receiving recognition for competence and ethics as described below.
Pete handles a broad range of business and real estate matters. His goal is to provide efficient, effective and responsive counsel to his clients regarding all of their legal options, making sure they understand the broader ramifications of each. His clients appreciate that despite his legal expertise and experience, Pete remains capable of communicating in a readily understandable way and excels at helping his clients find not only legal solutions to issues, but also practical ones. He has resolved countless business/legal disputes through negotiation, closed complex business and real estate deals, and successfully mediated and litigated matters that could not be amicably resolved.
Pete is originally from Massachusetts, but has a deep family history in Charlottesville, and has now lived in Virginia the majority of his life. He has lived in Albemarle County since graduating from law school and marrying his wife, Ida, whom he met while they both attended UVA. He remains a proud supporter of all of the Boston professional sports teams, the UVA Cavaliers and Liverpool Football Club. His personal family experience has led him to be a passionate advocate for childhood cancer research and the UVA Children’s Hospital. His proudest accomplishment is being the father of three incredible children.
Business — Pete represents all types of business clients including local, regional and national companies, non-profit organizations, corporations, partnerships and LLCs. He assists clients with formation, merger and acquisition, contracts and transactions, and dispute resolution, including litigation. Pete very much enjoys helping people achieve their dreams, and accordingly focuses a great deal on assisting entrepreneurs as they grow their businesses.
Real Estate — Pete represents builders and developers, wireless communication providers, lenders, purchasers, sellers, landlords, tenants, homeowners’ associations and governmental agencies in connection with a broad range of real estate matters. Such matters have included complex land use and zoning approvals and appeals, contracts, easements, leases, lending transactions, eminent domain, commercial and residential closings, and litigation.
• AV® rated by Martindale Hubbell — the highest rating available for professional competence and ethics
• Named by “Best Lawyers” as one of “The Best Lawyers In America” for Corporate Law and Real Estate
• Named by the American Institute of Legal Counsel as one of the “10 Best Real Estate Law Attorneys” in Virginia for Client Satisfaction
• Leadership Charlottesville 2014 Leaders’ Leader Award Recipient
• University of Virginia Children’s Hospital Advisory Board (Chair 2017-present)
• Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (Chair 2019)
• Tom Tom Founders Festival Advisory Board Member (2013-present)
• Leadership Charlottesville Alumni Association (President 2011-2013)
• Past-president of two Homeowners’ Associations
• Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
• Soccer Organization Charlottesville Area (SOCA), Coaching Staff
• Richmond Volleyball Club
• University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
• University of Virginia, B.A., Government
• Supreme Court of Virginia
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• United States District Courts, Eastern and Western District of Virginia