Peter J. Caramanis
Peter J. Caramanis
Pete has been practicing law in Charlottesville for over 20 years. He represents individuals and businesses in courts and before governmental bodies throughout the state. He prides himself on developing and maintaining trusting and long-lasting relationships with his clients, as well as those with whom he interacts on his clients’ behalf. He is humbled to have earned his peers’ respect and recognition for competence and ethics as described below.
Pete handles a broad range of business and real estate matters. His clients appreciate that he is able to make complex legal situations easy to understand and process. Pete works to find not only legal solutions, but also practical ones, making sure that his clients understand the costs and benefits of every option before them. He has resolved countless business/legal disputes through negotiation, closed complex business and real estate transactions, and successfully mediated and litigated matters that could not be amicably resolved.
Pete is originally from Massachusetts, but has a deep family history in Charlottesville, and has now lived in Virginia the majority of his life. He has lived in Albemarle County since graduating from law school and marrying his wife, Ida, whom he met while they both attended UVA. He remains a proud supporter of all of the Boston professional sports teams, the UVA Cavaliers and Liverpool Football Club. His proudest accomplishment is being the father of three children who are making their communities better through their compassion, effort, and action.
Business — Pete represents all types of business clients including local, regional and national companies, non-profit organizations, corporations, partnerships and LLCs. He assists clients with formation, merger and acquisition, contracts and transactions, and dispute resolution, including litigation.
Real Estate — Pete represents builders and developers, lenders, purchasers, sellers, landlords, tenants, and homeowners’ associations in connection with a broad range of real estate matters. Such matters have included complex land use and zoning approvals and appeals, contracts, easements, leases, proffers, commercial transactions, and litigation.
Awards and Recognition
• AV® rated by Martindale Hubbell — the highest rating available for professional competence and ethics
• Named by “Best Lawyers” as one of “The Best Lawyers In America” for Corporate Law and Real Estate
• Named by the American Institute of Legal Counsel as one of the “10 Best Real Estate Law Attorneys” in Virginia for Client Satisfaction
• Leadership Charlottesville 2015 Leaders’ Leader Award Recipient
• Team IMPACT Advisory Board (2022-present)
• Venture Central Board Member (2021-present)
• University of Virginia Children’s Hospital Advisory Board Member (2014-present) (Chair 2017-2020)
• Tom Tom Summit & Festival Board Member and General Counsel (2012-present)
• Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce Board Member (2016-2021) (Chair 2019)
• Leadership Charlottesville Alumni Association Board Member (2009-2013) (President 2011-2013)
• Past-president of two Homeowners’ Associations
• Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
• Soccer Organization Charlottesville Area (SOCA), Coaching Staff
• University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
• University of Virginia, B.A., Government
• Supreme Court of Virginia
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• United States District Courts, Eastern and Western District of Virginia